Please email any request and Iwill do my best to either cover it in a blog, or email you back. Happy cooking, crafting and creating.

About Me

My photo
I am a mom of 4, a blended family that is wonderfully close. I love cooking, in fact I am obsessed with cooking and making fun stuff for the family to enjoy. I love to create, photography, painting, decorating, crafts and anything that makes me feel more creative.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beef Short Ribs

This is a hearty stick to your ribs meal!! We recently bought a portion of a whole cow and short ribs came in the assortment, so I had to figure out how to make them. I first made this last year and it is a hit! Ingredients:
Beef short ribs about 5 pounds, 2 cups red wine, 4 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, onion, 1 lg can of tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and garlic. Salt and pepper of course!

Although this looks complicated, it is not...puree the onion, garlic, carrots and celery. My food processor is broke, so I added it to a blender.


These are short ribs look like this.


Salt and pepper the ribs and brown them in a large pan, do this in shifts.


Place the ribs in a large roaster, preheat oven to 375.



Take the veggie puree and brown in the pan that you had the ribs in, add a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper. Leave until all water is almost gone then turn, you will end up with a dry ball of mush that smells AMAZING as it is cooking.





This is what it looks like, next add tomato paste, the whole large can.



This will brown for about 4-5 minutes to combine flavors. Salt and pepper this layer as well. Each new layer should always be re-seasoned. I do not ever need to add salt to my finished dish, if it is seasoned along the way it will taste better in the end.




Add 2 1/2 cups of red wine, Merlot of Cabernet work well just not sweet red. Add 2 cups of water as well.



Reduce this mixture for a few minutes until thick (around 7 minutes).



Pour over the ribs add 1 tsp of thyme and 2 bay leaves, cover with foil and bake for 3 hours, pull foil off for the last 30 minutes, at this point I skim the layer of oil off.



The finished ribs look like this. They are delicious. Sever with the "gravy" that has formed in the pan, I always serve with potatoes, but you can do whatever you like, fries, grilled veggies, rice, macaroni and cheese...limitless possibilities. ENJOY!!





No comments:

Post a Comment