Please email any request and Iwill do my best to either cover it in a blog, or email you back. Happy cooking, crafting and creating.

About Me

My photo
I am a mom of 4, a blended family that is wonderfully close. I love cooking, in fact I am obsessed with cooking and making fun stuff for the family to enjoy. I love to create, photography, painting, decorating, crafts and anything that makes me feel more creative.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cube Steak Sandwiches and Rosemary Fries

This is a dish that I searched for, it is a combination of a few recipes that I found. This is for sure a KEEPER. It is easy, cheap and a crowd pleaser. We bought a portion of a cow recently and we got cube steaks with it, I don't cook a lot of cubed steaks, so I was on the hunt for a way to use them. Bonus is that both the hubby and the 15 year old absolutely loved it, since the 15 year old boy can eat A LOT these days, this is a big score as my husband took it to work today and says it reheats great.
The list of ingredients: 2 1/2 - 3 pounds of cube steak, butter, flour, 1 gallon plastic bag, season salt, worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, butter, olive oil, rosemary and french bread rolls or hoagie buns. First cut up potatoes into fries.
Remove sprigs of Rosemary by pulling the sprigs backwards from the stem and finely chop.
Add 2 tsp of the rosemary a heavy sprinkling of salt and 1/4 cup of olive oil and toss.
Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes. The smell is delightful.
Once the potatoes are in the oven slice onions and saute' with 1tbsp of butter, be sure to salt and pepper the onions once the onions are cooking. This should take about 7 minutes, the onions will be soft and golden brown.
Now take cube steak from package and cut into strips. The butcher tenderizes the cube steak, it is one direction, make sure to cut in the opposite direction of the directional marks.
Sprinkle with season salt and pepper.
Set the onions aside and add more butter to the pan letting the pan get very hot. Put 3 tbsp of flour in the plastic bag, add meat and shake gently to coat.
Add the floured steak to the hot butter. DO NOT stir, I know you chronic stirrers out there will have a hard time with this, but leave it alone, otherwise you will have steamed grey meat... By leaving the meat alone, it will allow a crust to form, which is the best part and helps deepen the flavor of the dish.
See this is just pure flavor!!
Butter and toast whatever you plan to serve this sandwich on...I used a dry pan.

Next add about half of a bottle of the worcestershire sauce to the pan, be sure to loosen all the bits off the bottom of the pan, again, more flavor. Add the onions back to the pan and simmer for a few minutes add cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you like it. I added about 1/2 tsp at a time until I got the flavor I liked. Before serving add a pat of butter. This helps thicken, gloss and bring the dish together. Don't skip this, I am sure there is a smart reason this works, not sure what it is...but I add butter to all my sauces at the end and I am rarely disappointed.
Add the met to the toasted bread and add a few tablespoons of the sauce.
Serve with the Rosemary fries and be prepared for bite after bite of goodness!! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment