Please email any request and Iwill do my best to either cover it in a blog, or email you back. Happy cooking, crafting and creating.

About Me

My photo
I am a mom of 4, a blended family that is wonderfully close. I love cooking, in fact I am obsessed with cooking and making fun stuff for the family to enjoy. I love to create, photography, painting, decorating, crafts and anything that makes me feel more creative.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Swiss Steak



Recipes can take you back in time. I am always on the look out. My friend Ashlie says this is what she would request her mom to make still today, it is from her childhood. I made a few changes...ENJOY! Ingredients: Cube steak (5-6) 2 large cans of tomato sauce, can of tomato paste, 1 cup of beef stock, onion chopped, green pepper chopped, worstershire sauce 1tbsp, salt, pepper



Salt and pepper both sides of the cube steak, the dredge in flour.





Brown in a bit of olive oil and a pat of butter. Olive oil prevents the oil from burning.




When you have a hot pan and do not touch the meat, you get a beautiful crust full of flavor.




While browning add tomato paste, worstershire and tomato sauce to a bowl and mix. 1 tsp of salt and cracked pepper.

When all the cubed steak has been browned on both sides, add to a 9x13 pan, pre-heat oven to 350. Add green pepper and onion to pan and brown.


layer the onion and green pepper in the pan covering the cube steak, then pour tomato mixtuer over the entire thing.







Look good already. Now bake for 3-4 hours, could also be put in a crock pot at this point, refrigerated and then started the next day.



Side dish is fire roasted veggies, I used broccoli and cauliflower. Simply cut up, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 450 for 20-30 min, finish with parmasean and a squeeze of fresh lemon. This is by far the only way to cook fresh veggies. I have a little helper here too. I promise no feet touched the food ;-)




Remeber to season your food, at the table is too late!! Even Lydia knows this important step.




Spread those veggies out!




Next simple smashed potatoes, skin on. If you haven't discovered Yukon Gold potatoes...get them. Thin skinned, buttery in texture and so good. I cube them, add to salted water and boil then smash roughly with butter, salt, pepper and milk, this is a great accompanyment to the yummy gravy made by the cube steak!


Roasting veggies like this makes them sweet, the kids like them too. Sweet potaotes with cumin, parsnips, brussel sprouts....possiblities are endless.





Dig in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment