Please email any request and Iwill do my best to either cover it in a blog, or email you back. Happy cooking, crafting and creating.

About Me

My photo
I am a mom of 4, a blended family that is wonderfully close. I love cooking, in fact I am obsessed with cooking and making fun stuff for the family to enjoy. I love to create, photography, painting, decorating, crafts and anything that makes me feel more creative.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

White Chilli

This is a recipe that I usually make on a Sunday. I save the leftovers for the upcoming week and freeze the rest in individual servings for winter lunches. It is hearty, healthy and very filling. Not to mention it is full of fiber so it is a great diet food!


Ingredients: 1 bag of white beans (northern or navy), 2 cans of white beans such as butter beans, white corn and 5 cans of chicken broth, 2 small cans of green chilies, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, chicken tenders (1-2lb) oregano, cumin, salt (I used Tastefully Simple season salt) pepper, red pepper flakes.




Chop onions and garlic and saute' with a little olive oil in a pan, add salt and pepper cooking just until softened. Then add chicken and cook until done. Set aside.




Next take soaked beans, I do the quick soak method where the beans are brought to a boil for 3 minutes then turned off heat and left to soak for 2 hours. Drain water and rinse. You can always soak overnight too, but I usually forget! Next once you have rinsed the beans add the cans of chicken broth allowing this to a simmer for 1 hour. After your soaked beans have simmered for about an hour, add 1 1/2 tsp of cumin (more if you like), 1tsp of oregano, 1/2-1 1/2 tsp of red pepper depending on how spicy you like it, green chilies, cooked chicken, corn and remaining beans (rinse first). Let this mixture simmer for at least another hour hours. Makes the house smell amazing, the longer it cooks the better.






ENJOY, you can add a dolop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt. I usually serve with a grilled cheese sandwich. This screams fall for me and is a healthy comfort food that my family loves.






No comments:

Post a Comment